Saturday, September 1, 2012

Two Day Horse Trek: Day 1

I have just spent two unforgettable, exciting days exploring the Mongolian countryside. Venturing far off the beaten track, we climbed up through high wooded mountain passes, down through river valleys and traversed fast flowing waters  and camped the night (on a steep slope!) in what I believe to be some of the most beautiful, unspoiled countryside in the world. The scenery was spectacular and ever changeing and although the ride on day 2 challenged my limited riding skills, I can now honestly attest to being capable of riding anywhere that may require the sure-footedness of a mountain goat!
I never imagined riding would be such an enriching experience -it has certainly given me a wonderful perspective and understanding of what makes Mongolia such a special place and just why its culture and history is so tightly linked to the horse.

Here are some of my favourite scenes/memories...


One of many challenges: Stay dry-Fail.
Not long into the trek Baggi, our unflappable and fearless guide for the trip, tests the waters and guides our back-up horse across the river before coming back to get us (hopefully with a better idea of the shallowest route!). 


...while we contemplate getting wet!

Just to get some perspective on how wide the river was due to heavy rains a few days before.
 As Baggie's silhouette gets smaller, I begin to wonder if the horses are still in fact walking or swimming!

To cover most contingencies, I travelled with  a guide, 3 friends, a spare horse and a support vehicle (which carried our food, camping gear and liquid "refreshments").  The car was supposed to accompany us on the first day provided it made it across the river. Unfortunately the Land Cruiser proved not as robust as our sturdy horses!!  
Didn't quite pull out the camera in time to catch the car being set adrift but you'll get a good idea of just how fast flowing the river was (and  how lucky it wasn't all over before it had even began!)






The water is drained from the car and at which point Julie decides it's prudent to make the crossing in a state of "undress".  I followed suit and went barefoot! The Toyota took to the road and met us at Turtle Rock.

Sue being suited up with a back-pack, Mongolian style.
Thanks for carrying my boots! :D
Barely able to keep my feet above the water (me in front) but I'm not sure why I bothered,
I still got pretty wet.

Further on, grassy green meadows -perfect for a long gallop.

Aaawwww!
This pic is a snapshot of the valley the International Equestrian Club of Outer Mongolia (IECOOM)
resides in... the first cluster of gers beside the river at the base of the hill is our home/club house.
Beautiful right?! We get to come here most weeks.( Approximately an hour and a half out of town)


Girls pull in for refreshments after a long gallop

Turtle Rock

Beautiful granite rock formations

This downslope was our campsite for the night. 
Trying to sleep on this was like trying to stay put on the deck of the Titanic-impossible! 
I'm still clueless as to why this place was chosen as our campsite.

My friends: Sue, Julie and Robyn. 
Challenge 2: Get a good nights sleep.  Fail!

Trying to gather enough wood before dark.  
The wood was extremely dry so nothing a good foot stomp couldn't chop!

View from our patch- a scree fall

A quaint buddhist monastery nestled into a granite hill. We visited the next morning. 200 plus steps, each with words of wisdom written on a plaque-some food for thought while ascending (and descending).
In the early morning Baggi returns with the overnight absconders!
Although fettered for the night the horses still managed to go AWOL!!
Just another reminder that they are still wild horses and when not being ridden they are free to roam.

Stay tuned for Day 2 now that the horses have been caught! :D w
e'll be leaving the steppes and taking the short cut home, OVER the hills.

3 comments:

Faith said...

Susie, I'm blown away by the beautiful pictures. What a great adventure!

Anonymous said...

Well Sis, who would have thought you would be the outdoorsie type!
Looks amazing. Mongolia has certainly opened up some unforgetable experiences.
What a pity I am going to Spain as I would have joined you.

Anonymous said...

I can imaginYou are good to have around !!! You such a handy( man girl )in anything You do I remember when we use to go camping when you where a little girl You where so Gorgeous Helpful always, Ilove to have You on my side any time!! Dad and I always said if Susie stops going with us we won't go camping Not worth it!! U tireless worker!!!have fun Darling Love your pictures Love always Mum xoxoxo