Wednesday, October 19, 2011

25km horse trek

Terelj National Park


First things first- catch the horses!!! 

There doesn't seem to be an end to the list of extraordinary experiences you can have here in Mongolia.  For me, it's one of the many anomalies of life here- you expect so little yet you receive so much.  It's difficult to understand why expectation is so low when you are continually being amazed by the people, the land, the culture and the pervading history.  

Yesterday I rode 25km's through the most spectacular countryside I have ever had the pleasure of traversing. Accompanied by 15 friends, 4 herders, 3 dogs (one lame!) and 3 support cars (much needed for carrying tired riders, excess warm clothing that was discarded along the way, refreshments and a picnic lunch) we headed for the finish line, Turtle Rock. 

This incredible journey was made possible by Julie Veloo,  a fellow denizen who has taken the "Mongolian experience" to another level by purchasing a ger and moving in (part-time) to a country-side neighbourhood!!   With that move came all the pleasures and rewards of being able to experience the day to day life of a Mongolian family, not only learning their customs and traditions but also receiving their generous hospitality.  Part of Julie's initiative to mutually enhance the experience for all concerned has been to introduce a weekly riding group which I feel very priviledged to be part of.



So...before you can go on a ride you have to catch the horses!  You wouldn't think that would be too hard a task with tamed horses. Not so. These horses still love to be wild and free so catching them requires skill, agility, speed and an "uurga" (a pole lasso used to catch horses and other livestock- about 4-5 metres in length with a leather loop on one end).  That's "my" horse second from the right in the foreground.  She's taken me many miles in an orderly fashion despite my lack of riding skills!  


The job's made a little easier when you corner yourself on a rocky hill



Desperate dash...


...all for naught!
Once you've caught your horse then someone comes to attach the bridle and....
...leaves you at the "loading dock" ready to be saddled up.
Julie's neighbourhood- That's her ger on the left.

the view (from the "long drop")

On our way!...

The first river crossing.  The second was not so kind!  My horse ended up half submerged and although I was able to keep mainly dry, water quickly seeped into my boots. Fortunately the situation rectified itself after an hour or so and my socks were completely dry by the end of the day! 
Expansive plains with yaks, horses, marmots, sheep and goats interspersed along the way. Oh! and a few stray dogs.




First pitsop.  Julie on the left, Baggi and our guides who patiently attended to all our equestrial needs. 

There was plenty of room to ride "alone" and take in the length and breadth of the surrounding beauty.

SPACE

amazing rock formations

An "owoo": these places of worship are scattered all over Mongolia

Highest point of the trek


Our excellent guides

Captivating. Serene. Awe-inspiring
The scenery was ever changing



Our destination Turtle Rock, in the distance

Turtle Rock
After a 4 hour journey we arrived late into the afternoon. We all enjoyed a picnic "lunch" and a well earned rest before the herders ushered the horses back home (at least a 2 hour trip!) Ulaanbaatar is around an hour and 15 minutes drive.

Homeward bound.....


Oh! and just before you go, there's one more picture I'd like to share of me picking up my hat at full gallop!


Just Kidding!!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Great post mum! but where are the photos of you?! Love you

Ash

Julie said...

Lovely account! Great Pics...So wonderful to see the ger from someone else's view point. However, you didn't point out that you now have joined the ranks of official equestrienne as you are the proud owner of saddle! And,just so your friends know,... you completely rock the look!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ash...but I was holding the camera!! Next time xx

Unknown said...

Awesome Julie. As for my equestrienne status...I didn't want to say something I might have to live up to!!!

Sammy Lau said...

That looks amazing mum! I love the river crossing photo. Mongolia is looking a lot more brown compared to when i left it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sammy! It is a lot more brown but not for long-it should be white tomorrow as snow is expected. PS. I added one more photo of me at the end. Take a look. You'll be impressed!!! Love you xx

Unknown said...

Awesome Susie and you now need to put in those phots of you... love that last photo, very good.

Lyn Mao said...

I think you've got me addicted to fence photos.... I LOVE THEM! Especially the one with the multi-coloured posts. I'm also jealous of the blue sky!! Love you. xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn! Arent they great!I just realised I have 2 of the same fence in different blogs! different seasons! I'm going to do a fence blog one day. Stay tuned! xx Blue sky can be yours any day just hurry up and visit me will you!!! Miss you xoxo